I myself have pretty much given up on Amateur Grade Equipment all
together. It doesn't matter who makes it, they all have relaxed their
standards. It all started when I purchased a Yaesu VX-7R. After
taking it home, I looked at it on an IFR-1200 service monitor (which
I've never done to an Amateur Radio). I viewed the TX swing 1.6kHz
off frequency. I returned to HRO with my service monitor in hand to
find out just what was going on. Well the gentleman behind the
counter kept handing me different portables (as he was a tech
himself). He viewed me testing them one by one, and tried to look the
other way in embarrassment (he tried to take away the attention of
other hams in the store at that time so they wouldn't see my
findings). After showing him just how far out of specs his portables
were (frequency stability and deviation). I asked him the question,
How is this so? He clearly stated, "It's Amateur Radio equipment"
while giving me a look like what was I too expect from Amateur Radio
equipment.

I have an older model Yaesu FT-50R and stuck it on the IFR. It was
great! Frequency and deviation were beautiful. It appeared as though
through testing of later and later model portables, the later model
it was, the worse my findings became. I refuse to purchase another
Amateur Radio Portable again. I only buy commercial portables now.
Another thing, all this wide band RX is for the birds. If I'm in a
heavily RF congested area, the receivers blast open with trash, also
deafening the receiver to the point the radio is useless. I was tired
of not being able to use my ham equipment at hill top sites while
mobile. I have replaced it all with commercial gear and now I can
hear again.

I'm certain that most of you already knew this. But for those of you
who didn't. It's just something to think about.

Oh, and one last comment, most every Amateur Radio potable is unable
to do split Tone PL's. One Tone PL for TX and another Tone PL for RX.
I don't know why that is so. It would just take a little extra code
writing, but what do we expect, It's Amateur Radio Grade Equipment.

Paul Metzger
K6EH