Seems kind of bizare that an FM Rig PA would run anything but
Class C mode. The PA and related circuit should be all about
practical power control or someone didn't do their homework
back at square one.

In regards to your the last portion of the below text...  pretty
much many a PA section can make a nice generator of unwanted products
but we shouldn't right away point fingers at an rf power amplifier
not running full tilt as being an instant source. Each and every
case is or should be considered different.

As a general rule... I'm not running most of my class C rf
amplifiers full-tilt (power). Everything out of the pipe is as
clean as can be expected/desired.

As always... your results will probably vary.

cheers,
skipp