Hook your signal generator up to your system at the antenna port and measure
receiver sensitivity with and without the preamp. Then with the preamp in
circuit start adding attenuation between the preamp and the receiver. When
you just start to loose sensitivity stop adding attenuation. That should
give you near optimum sensitivity without excessive gain. Too much gain in
the preamp overloads the receiver mixer and front end amp if it has one.

For every db of gain you add in front of the receiver you reduce the IM
performance of the receiver.

You only want enough preamp gain to overcome the noise figure of the
receiver. Although the noise figure of the receiver and preamp are
cumulative the preamp is the biggest contributor in setting system noise
figure. In other words putting a hot preamp on a very hot receiver will give
you a better overall noise figure than putting that same preamp on a poor
receiver but the difference will not be great.

You may not be able to realize the full benefit of the preamp if you have
excessive IM. You may have to add more attenuation to where it further
reduces receiver sensitivity. When you get down to the point that the
sensitivity is the same as it was without the preamp, then throw out the
preamp. But you may be able to find a happy medium where the preamp does
help some without destroying your IM performance.

If you still have excess IM problems you can add attenuation ahead of the
preamp by raising the insertion loss of the loops on your band pass filter
as others have suggested. By raising the insertion loss on the loops it does
the same thing as adding an attenuator ahead of the preamp but with the
added benefit of steeper skirts on the band pass filter.

By the way don't worry about adding adaptors between the preamp and
receiver. After all you are looking to add attenuators anyway. But adaptors
really make no measurable difference in attenuation at vhf or uhf. They may
give a slight impedance mismatch but you probably don't have anything that
will measure the small amount of loss from them.

73
Gary  K4FMX