Ken is exactly right! I would venture to say that there are probably few to
none on this list that have any equipment that could measure the difference
in loss between a PL259 and a good N connector. That loss thing is an old
myth. Now as Ken said they are not a constant impedance and you will get a
bump in the impedance with one that can give a mismatch in a fixed tuned
circuit and you can have what is called "mismatch loss" which results from
the circuit getting detuned slightly because of the impedance difference.
There can also be swr losses caused by the impedance mismatch but a direct
loss from the PL259 at VHF and UHF is almost non existent. At least not
measurable.

If you really want to get picky use only N connectors and not even bnc. A
bnc is not a constant impedance connector either although somewhat better
than a PL259. Yes I know you can plug an N connector into a bnc but the bnc
still is not a constant impedance device.

Case in point: The Motorola 2600 service monitor uses an N connector in
order to meet the flatness spec over the entire range even though most
people want a bnc for the rf connector on it. So they supply an N to bnc
adaptor with each unit for those that insist on bnc connectors.

73
Gary  K4FMX