Sorry I haven't responded to this is previous, but I did some research. I
actually converted a GE Mastr II receiver to 220. (Several times actually!!)

As they say in the world of mathematics, "I ran through all the
permutations". I used 2 5C compensated elements from Bomar on 222.400 for my
testing. One was a x9 multiplier with a crystal frequency of 23.46666. The
other was a x12 multiplier with a crystal frequency of 17.600. Both of these
were used for low-side injection. These were obtained while researching the
cross-talk phenomenon that happens between transmit harmonics and receiver
sensitive spots. (More about that in different articles to come)

Here is what I found:

http://homepage.mac.com/pseabolt/mods/oscillat.htm
The mods from W4UWH work OK. The best sensitivity I could get from tuning
and re-tuning and trying different combinations of capacitor tuning
positions, was about -106dB for 12dB SINAD. The most interesting thing was
that either ICOM seem to work equally well! (I don't understand it either,
but I was able to tune and make the same sensitivity with either crystal.)
This mod worked, but it seemed to be a lot of hocus-pocus magic to get the
LO to tune correctly. I DID NOT change the transistors as suggested in the
article. I'm not sure if that would have helped the sensitivity or not.
Frankly I was so dismayed at how difficult it was to tune that I simply
didn't take the time to swap the transistors. Due to the lack of suggestion
of a formula change and the fact that he changes all of the stages in the LO
chain, I would agree with those that this modification is simply a "raise
the frequency" type mod. It does not change the multiplier from a x9.

http://www.jonadams.com/pages/amateur_radio/ge_mastr_2_220mhz_mods.htm
These mods are very similar to the mods I settled on as my final
recommendation. They change the multiplier from a x9 to a x12. This fact is
spelled out in the conversion. The change is done in the last 2 stages of
the LO. The first LO stage remains as-is. The second tripler is changed to a
doubler and the third buffer stage is changed to a tripler. Everything seems
to work ok until the last tripler stage. I'm not sure if it's an omission in
the mods or what happened, but the author doesn't change anything in the
final stage to make it a tripler! I couldn't get this mod to work at all.

http://www.condor-connection.org/mods/mastr2.htm
The condor connection's mods seemed to work the best. They are the same as
the Jon Adams mods above, but they actually make a modification to the
inductor in the last stage. This makes the stage tune correctly as a
tripler. This mod seemed to have LOTS of injection level. With this mod,
tuned per the book the first time, I was able to make 12dB SINAD at -115dB
of signal. This is what I would have expected to see. This mod seems well
suited to repeatability. It will need re-written with some descriptive
pictures, but it works. The tuning of it impressed me especially.

My plan is to take pictures of the "winning" mods exactly as I did them,
make them into a bit better article, and post them for all to use. I should
have this done later today.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC