I don't know if I have seen this stuff in print either. I have gotten most
of my info from engineers at Motorola and Wavetek. I used to sell their
service monitors.
Jeff pretty well sums up what the problems are with the bnc connectors. In
most applications it doesn't matter much. But like I noted with the service
monitors they could not maintain the output level and return loss spec with
the bnc connectors and this was probably mostly due to the bnc not being a
solid connector.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that a bnc connector is junk. The
comment was that "if you want to worry about connectors then use an N rather
than a bnc". This was for the benefit of those that worry about PL259's not
being any good.

The bnc is not too bad as HP used it on the front end of their older
spectrum analyzers. They latter switched to a type N though. I guess they
saw the light.  :>)

A PL259 serves the purpose well in most cases and will have almost
immeasurable loss but it will not have a constant impedance. Some places
that matters and some places it does not.

If you start sticking several PL type adaptors in line with your wattmeter
you may see the wattmeter read different to what looks like loss but it is
not loss in the adaptors or connectors. The change in impedance fools the
wattmeter and it gives a different reading.
If that change in impedance is reflected to a point where it upsets the
tuning of a tuned circuit, like back to the output of a transmitter, then it
can detune the transmitter slightly and actually cause it to put out less
power. But the less output power is not due to connector loss.

Jeff mentioned that non Teflon connectors get warm. I am not so sure that is
due to poor dielectric or poor contact of the mating surfaces. Dielectric
does not come into play much until you get into uhf.

Coax cable dielectric makes little difference in cable loss thru vhf as most
loss is attributed to resistive losses.

73
Gary  K4FMX