Great to see someone describe the Pulsar well.  They came into
the SF Motorola Service Station well through the 80's. I don't
remember ever having to really repair one other than small stupid
user things and some control reprogramming.

Built like a fort with a pretty neat internal duplexer hams used
to get fooled & excited about using it for amateur repeater work.
No cigar big boy...

I used to say they were a hybrid style of Mocom 70 just because they
looked a bit like a Mocom 70 and had the same quality of construction.
The Mocom 70 and the Pulsar are probably of the same design
generation or "familiy".

To make you cry I'll say I can't remember how many of the Pulsars
we trashed when Motorola Recon wouldn't even pay the freight fees
to "Recon" (where they would crush them) upon customer trade in.

Speaking of IMTS Radios... we also saw and serviced a number of
Harris phones, which made very easy repeater conversions. The Harris
UHF units had a really nice internal duplexer... call it a flat
pack but it was more a mini cigar box size and it works great for
Amateur Aps.

A rush of memories flood back to those days. I can actually remember
a few RCA, GE, Harris, Aerotron IMTS phones... oh boy, what joy.
The phones were an easy service ticket... the #$*& taxi cabs right
behind them were the stinky cluster of the morning.. a whole line
of them out the door.  All the drivers with great attitudes.

cheers,
s.