In a message dated 4/6/2007 9:01:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

A very  quick summary of the end results... PL-259 Connectors are
not really the  UHF horror story people might assume.

Skipp

I agree that the categorical dissing of the electrical   characteristics of
the PL-259 is unwarranted.
Hey, Motorola et al used this series on their UHF equipment for decades.
They probably just incorporated the impedance mismatch of this connector series

as part of the input or output network of the equipment.
I know that Phelps Dodge did exactly that on their UHF sticks that had a
PL-259 connection. Also, on long runs in really cold climates, the PL-259 was
much more resistant to contact interruption than the original N connector
(UG-21) until the N series offered a captive contact version (UG-1185) to deal
with this issue. And they sure are a hell of a lot cheaper than what N
conectors
are costing these days.  The silver plated PL-259 versions with a teflon
dialectric are not too shabby. The bad news is that they leak like a sieve and
without a perfect sealing wrap and a drip loop for insurance, you can
contaminate an entire feed line.

K7IJ