<<< see embedded responses (w/VERN prefix) below >>>

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "skipp025" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A quick reply...
>
> > "w6nct" <w6nct@> wrote:
> > I am setting up my duplexer using four Phelps-Dodge cavities (all
> > in series for Rx), and two Cell-wave cavities (in series for Tx).
> > All of these are individual, cylindrical, PASS-REJECT cavities.
>
> Are the 5 or 8 inch... or some other size diameter cavities?

VERN:  All are approximately 4" diameter by 8" long.

> > At this point, I have a setup and test methodology to tune the
> > PASS and REJECT adjustments; and have done so for the individual
> > Phelps-Dodge cavities (mostly as a pre-tune and confidence
> > building exercise).
>
> Nothing wrong with taking the time to learn... I do it all the time
> and it really pays off.
>
> Undestand a single cavity adjusted location will be different from
> a dual series cavity setup... and different from a triple cavity
> setup. Broadly speaking you might see how additional cavities change
> the final adjustments. So starting from scratch you'll get single
> cavities in the ballpark and the final assembly will require a
> second or third final adjustment.

VERN:  What I've noticed already is that if I use "bad" interconecting
cables (i.e., lossy, or ones not near odd 1/4 wave in electrical
length); then the combination of multiple cavities in series changes a
lot.  But the closer the interconnecting cables are to "good" ones,
the less I need to re-tune once I connect the cavities in series.

I've also noticed that I can work to tune up a duplexer system with
"less than ideal" cables; but it's much more difficult and touchy, and
doesn't seem to provide as good of an end-result.  I expect that the
duplexer system will work much better (i.e., more stable and and more
efficient) if I invest the time into setting up the best
interconnecting cables I can.

I'm expecting that I may have a bit more of adjustment when I connect
the Tx string to the Rx string, using the T-connector; since the two
strings are tuned for different frequencies.  We'll see...

> > I have not re-tuned them in the full duplexer system configuration
> > as I am still > trying to make up the "proper" length cables (see
> > other related topic thread, "measuring coax for duplexer").  I'm
> > still a little stuck in making these cables, due to the unknown
> > length and velocity factor for the loop inside the cavities.  If
> > you have any thoughts on this topic, please add them to the
> > associated thread.
>
> You didn't mention the type of coax you are using...?
> Consider the physical loop/probe length to be added to
> the coax length. The coax will have a velocity factor
> of say... .66 to .93 typical and the internal loop/probe
> length is most often considered free space, which is
> also known as vel= 1.0
>
> I don't march with the crowd on this one... every time
> I try to follow the various posted cable length text the
> results never seem to work out. So I use my own methods
> and test gear, which gives me the nearly exact performance
> of the specific network I'm working with. If you want
> some rules of thumb I like to consider... I'd need to
> know more about the cavity loops/probe assemblies. Email
> me direct if you like.

VERN:  I'm using RG-400 (Vf=0.695), using N-connectors on Phelps-Dodge
and BNC on Cell-wave cavities.

Several from this repeater group have indicated that the loops (one
per port) inside adds to the length; even though Hams local to me
aren't convinced.  I've already decided to believe the group's
experts; but I am having a bit of problem determining "how much length
it adds".  I suspect that if I had a TDR I could tell; but I haven't
found a way to get my MFJ to tell me.

I hand-calculated a starting length for the cable alone; and using
that as a test/reference cable, I have been trying to measure the
internal loops of the cavities.

The measurements I have taken (in trying to figure it out
experimentally) have shown that the apparent/combined electrical
length (i.e., reference cable plus single cavity loop) change
dramatically if I change the cavities bandpass adjustment; and it is
also dramatically different depending on what I do with the other port
(e.g., open, 50-ohm termination, or 0-ohm termination).  Thus far, I
haven't figured it out; or decides what termination is appropriate.
Perhaps I should buy an extra cavity and cut it open to see what's
really inside (?).

> > Beyond that, I have the Tx/Rx sections of the repeater
> > operational; and am trying to figure out how to best
> > interface my (NHRC-5) controller and (ComSpec TS32) PL
> > decoder/encoder (see other related topic thread,
> > "Controller connection to RPT-21").  This portion is
> > still in progress, trying to figure things out.
> > If you have any thoughts on this topic, please add
> > them to the associated thread.
>
> An original Standard RPT-21 ..?

VERN:  Yes, it was still virgin when I got it; still tuned to a
commercial frequency.  It needed some cleanup and repair; but
otherwise appears to work ok.

> > I've figured out a lot about using the Wavetek 1080.
> > It's a pretty amazing piece of equipment; but I still
> > haven't gotten the manual(s) for it.
>
> Yes... the Wavetek gear is really nice...
>
> > QUESTION 1:  Do you have the same model Wavetek (i.e., 1080)?
> > If so, do you have the manual(s) for it?
>
> I have two models... but the one on the bench here right now is the
> 1062. No I don't have the manual for it or any of the Wavetek units.
> Manuals plus might have the book if you really want/need it.

VERN:  I've found a couple sites that say that they have it; but most
want to charge an arm and a leg for a Nth-generation copy.  I'm
holding out a bit longer in hopes of finding an original at a
reasonable price; or a good quality copy at a cheap price.

> > QUESTION 2:  I'm curious about the "Marker" input on the front.
> >   Do you know what it is for, and how it is used?
>
> Depends on which model Wavetek you have. The Markers on some models
> are fixed at various intervals (1 MHz as one example, 30 & 60 MHz
> on other models) and show up as blips on the display.  We can and
> do input an external rf generator on one of our setups to allow an
> adjustable/agile marker at or near your project frequency. The MFJ
> 269b antenna unit works as an excellent signal source.

VERN:  The 1080 has a built-in (adjustable) marker generator; which is
why the indicated "Marker input" is a little confusing.  I'm guessing
that it might be for injecting another marker from an external source;
but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.

> > QUESTION 3: Do you know how to read the display in terms of the
> > calibrated signal amplitude, given a specific setting of the
> > "Output" (in dBm)?
>
> It's relative to how you have the various knobs adjusted.
> In operation you set the display to represent various values
> as desired. It's one of those instruments easily learned by
> watching someone use it. Out of the starting gate it's a pain
> to figure out the first few times.

VERN:  I understand; been there, doing that!  The local Hams fall into
two categories: ones that don't know how to sweep cavities without a
multi-thousand dollar piece of test gear, or the ones that haven't a
clue.  So (sadly) there's no one around here that I can look over the
shoulder of.  At least none that actually knows how to use a
sweep/marker generator with an oscilloscope (I think that maybe I'll
teach a class around here when I'm done with the repeater).

> > More specifically, a friend was saying something like "in order
> > to read the actual bandwidth of the PASS and NOTCH, I needed to
> > measure it a the 6 dB point".  Does that make sense?
>
> Yes... kind of. Your friend sounds like he's reading from page 134
> of a Malvino Electronics Text Book. It would be kind of windy to
> start talking bandwidths of cavities here.  In very short simple
> terms you get what you get related to the Q of the cavity and the
> possible adjustments you might make/set.

VERN:  Off-group, could you explain a bit more; or point me to some
on-line references I could read about it?  I'll look to see if the
"Malvino" is a text I might still have from college, it sounds familiar.

> > Do you know how I would do it using the Wavetek 1080's display on
> > an oscilloscope?  I suspect that it's just a libration/
> > visualization thing that I am missing.
>
> > I appreciate any wisdom and experience you can offer; especially
> > relating to the Wavetek 1080.

> > <<< vern >>>
>
> Mostly visualization...
>
> Depends on how you have the wavetek set up.  We get
> different results doing different things with it.
> Probably easier to talk to you about using it on the
> phone some time.  Email me direct if you want to
> try and yack on the phone about it.
>
> cheers,
> skipp

VERN:  Will do.  Thanks.  By the way, what geographic area are you in?