> Many receivers used the two mentioned chips... in both commericial,
> Amateur Radio and classic scanner circuits. I've seen both part
> numbers converted to "tk" numbers in Yaesu and Uniden Radios.

I wanted to do a receiver based on the SA-604 and an external squelch
circuit, but it is still on the projects list and it became hard to
find a off the shelf 21.4MHz IF Quarature coil.

> If you really were interested in more work with the mentioned
> chips I can and would be happy to email you some circuit diagrams
> and manuals related to the chips used in quality well engineered
> designs/circuits (in pdf file format).

I'd like that.

> As in our poor mans repeater project... sometimes when money is
> tight you try to use whatever you can get you hands on.

If cheap is the goal why not just convert a MASTR-II or a Micor? The
last 2 Micors I got were free and I paid $20 each for some Custom
MVPs. Pretty cheap. I'd prefere designing something from the ground up
vs. just converting something into the ham band.