> "tomnevue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> THANKS FOR THE REPLY. PLEASE SEE MY NOTES (CAPITALIZED).
> SAME DUPLEXER.  I'LL PARK IT AND KEEP WORKING ON THE REPEATER UNIT.

Yep, you should solve the repeater problem before you deal with
the duplexer.

> I HAVE NOT TOUCHED THE CABLES ON THE ORIGINAL MOTO REPEATER UNIT.
> THE RX CABLE IS SMALL WHITE AND THE TX CABLE IS BROWN. BOTH GOING
> TO SO239 WITH RF SEALED BACK.

Yeah but pull the drawer down and look at how the tx (brown) and
rx (small white) wires make their way up to the chassis SO-239
jacks (with matching hoods/shields).  The coax cables should not
be anywhere close to each other. You will often find them tie wraped
into a bunch along with other wires.

> THE CABLES ON THE MODIFIED BASE HAVE THE TR SWITCH REMOVED AND
> MOUNTED TO S0239 WITH RF SEALED BACK. THESE ARE SMALL WHITE,
> WITH THE TX CABLE BEING SLIGHTLY LARGER.

The small white cable really should not be used to duplex the
transmitter power in a repeater.

> part of your problem is leakage to & from the small white coax.

> OK THIS COULD BE A FACTOR IN THE MODIFIED BASE BUT THE REPEATER AND
> MODIFIED BASE EXHIBIT THE SAME OPERATIONAL PROBLEM.

A loose nut behind the watt meter...

> NO NO NO NOT LMR-400. RG-400U MIL SPEC,DOUBLE SILVER BRAID, TEFLON
> DIELECTRIC, BROWN JACKET. 4 FT FOR EACH JUMPER.

The brown rg-400u type coax works pretty well for modest coax jumpers
but people often have a hard time with the coax connectors. So be
sure to take a serious look at the cable ends/connectors.

> BUILT THE METER BOX AS DESCRIBED IN THE MANUAL; 50uA METER MOVEMENT,
> MULTIPOSITION SWITCH, PLUG CONSTRUCTED FROM SOCKET (WITH BRASS PINS
> ADDED) SALVAGED FROM OLD MOTO MOBILE UNIT.

Wun'der ba!

> SAME PL (ctcss) UNIT.

Then your starting TX channel element IDC value should result in
the tx ctcss deviation value of about 700KHz with no voice audio
present.

> > point meter locations with a quality meter and a bright light to
> > make sure you reach the right coil positions/locations.
>
> I RECALL ONLY 1 ADJUSTMENT THAT DIDN'T HAVE A WELL DEFINED PEAK /
> DIP. I THINK IT WAS ON THE RECEIVER. I WOULD HAVE TO CHECK MY NOTES
> TO SEE IF I MADE A COMMENT.

It's more than easy to miss any peaks and valleys as a few changes
are so small they are easily missed. When in doubt... go back to
square one. The dips and peaks are always there as described in
the manual... but a few are so small you really, really, really,
really have to be staring at the meter box while you adjust the
coils.

> YUP.  I HAVE A SPARE 80 WATT MIRAGE (?) AMPLIFIER THAT I WAS
> THINKING OF SUBSTITUTING (FOR TEST PURPOSES) TO ELIMINATE THE
> PA AS A PROBLEM. NOTE THAT I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM UNLESS I'M
> RUNNING POWER. IF I RUN WITHOUT THE PA, I EXPECT EVERYTHING
> WILL BE OK (AT ABOUT 2 WATTS).

yeah but you never said if you tried full power with the pa parked
into a termination.  That's the next test you might try. Direct from
the rf pa output port to a serious load/termination not going through
the original in cabinet coax cable leads.

> WHEN ht STOPS SENDING, REPEATER SHOULD DROP BUT IT RANDOMLY HANGS
> (ON), THEN DROPS, AND OCCASIONALLY GOES BACK INTO TRANSMIT WITHOUT
> THE ht. SOMETIMES THIS DROP AND RESTART IS ACCOMPANIED BY A LOUD
> GROWL SOUND IN THE AUDIO. I'M FIGURING THIS IS SOME KIND OF RF
> LEAKAGE BACK INTO THE RECEIVER OR FOR SURE THE AUDIO PATH. THIS
> CONDITION EXISTS WITH / WITHOUT A CONTROLLER AND ALSO WITH THE
> UNMODIFIED SG CARD.

If you've got stray rf getting back into the receiver... I would
expect the above to happen.  Probably growls "because it doesn't
know the words"...  (sorry I couldn't help myself).

> NOW STARTING TO USE LARGER QUANTITIES OF "SHINER BOCK" (A TEXAS
> THING) TO LUBRICATE THE OPERATOR.

Not too much... until the job is done.

> THE ONLY SINGLE ITEMS THAT I HAVE CONSISTENTLY USED ON BOTH REPEATER
> UNITS, WITH ALL THIS TESTING, IS THE FREQUENCY ELEMENTS. WHEN I SET
> THESE UP, I SIMPLY REPLACED THE CRYSTALS AND JUST SLIGHTLY ADJUSTED
> THE SINGLE FREQUENCY CONTROL. I HAD NO PROBLEM GETTING THE ELEMENT
> TO  OSCILLATE OR MOVE ON TO THE EXACT FREQUENCY.

What's the saga on the channel elements?  Who made the rocks and
who put them in the elements?

> CRYSTALS FOR THE OTHER FREQUENCY ARE EXPECTED TO ARRIVE TODAY. I
> SHOULD HAVE THEM INSTALLED IN THEIR WAITING ELEMENTS AND BE ABLE
> TO TRY THEM TOMORROW.
> TOM  W2MN

OK, keep us posted.
s.