Actually, the FCC (via letter from Bill Cross) has recently (within the
last year) declared a D-Star repeater to be specifically DATA, and
subject only to the same rules as are used for other digital stations
and digipeaters.

They have said they are not subject to the same rules as voice repeaters
- including the frequency selection - AKA the repeater sub-bands in Part
97.

Many expect that ruling to be overturned, but as it stands right now
they are not voice repeaters - they are data repeaters.

Joe M.