im sorry that i got this thread so far off course. i have not used a
420 my self, however i do have a 450-470 DB411 antenna (4 bay with all
lobes facing the same way, each bay only has one dipole, looks like a
224 but for uhf.. the antenna is about 10-11 feet tall, and it works
very well at 444/449. very low reflected power.. we swept the antenna
with a site master and it swept well, though it was most resonant in
the commercial band. if i can find the sweep ill post it. the DB
antennas in the commercial split are generally ok to use in the near
by ham band ive found.. it may not be ideal but it works well if thats
what youve got.

ive heard of people putting "whiskers" on teh folded dipoles to bring
the resonant frequency down a little by making the top/bottom of the
dipole a little longer. ive never tried it and i dont know how it works.

on the sinclairs.. those diploes are stood WAY off the mast... how are
the standoffs connected to the mast? looks like a very heavy wind
would twist them if they arent welded or keyed in some way.

on the long long long antennas like the 224 and 420, we have found
that they bend towards the bottom end at tropical storm force winds.
part of the bottom of the mast is sleeved inside with another piece of
pipe.. the bends usually occur where the internal sleeving stops..
andrews answer is to rate the antennas for a lower wind speed.. go
figure.

we have a site on a 1700 foor tower, equipment is at 1400, and theres
an antenna at 1500 and 1600, or there abouts... they are 4 bay db vhf
antennas, and they are top and bottom mounted.. thats why they dont
bend. the bending we have seen were on buildings, where the antennas
are bottom mounted only. in the event we ever had to install a new
antenna for heavy duty use, i always thought id pull the short
internal sleeve out and sleeve it all teh way to the top of the bottom
section, with a heavier piece of aluminum pipe (it helps that we have
an excellent aluminum distributor here).

i guess thats all i have to say on antennas... oh yeah, and
ge/ericsson/macom stuff is the way to go.. haha

<http://web.mac.com/wy0x/iWeb/Site/Squaw%20Mountain%20Trip%20-%20Fall%202006_files/DSCN0601.jpg>

<http://web.mac.com/wy0x/iWeb/Site/Squaw%20Mountain%20Trip%20-%20Fall%202006_files/DSCN0602.jpg>

<http://web.mac.com/wy0x/iWeb/Site/Cheyenne%20Mountain%20Summer%202006_files/DSCN0581.jpg>

<http://web.mac.com/wy0x/iWeb/Site/Cheyenne%20Mountain%20Summer%202006_files/DSCN0584.jpg>