Hi Jeff,

> "Jeff DePolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There's good reason a "hot air" alarm probably went off for many
> > of you when reading the article.

I went back and read the article through... even though it was
tough to bite that bologna sandwich. One of the Authors is
reported to be a PE?

> I'm trying to figure out what his closing paragraph is trying
> to say.

I had to turn on the AC because the hot-air was so bad.

> However, should you hear a slow oscillation of the transmitter
> when it turns on and off (a rate of about 1-2 Hz rate on weak
> signals), then you do have duplexer desensitization."
>
> What is this 1-2 Hz oscillation he's talking about?

You're right... Doesn't make sense...

> His use of "quasi-simulcast" is what we used to call "sloppycast".

I'm laughing... "sloppycast", I'm going to steal that from you and
use it to describe a few things.

> Basically the transmitters are not time-aligned as far as the
> launch time of the audio from each site.
> Furthermore, the transmitters may or not be locked to a high
> stability reference (UHSO TCXO/OCXO, GPS, Rubidium, etc.),
> so there may be carrier frequency errors as well resulting in
> audible beat products.

Regarding the frequency stability... you can often sync the
transmitters easy enough.  The fly in the soup is how well they
stay in sync over time and/or when they do drift... where and
how far.

> Several of my co-channel ham repeaters are sloppycasted, but with
> accurate carrier frequency matching (using Rubidium reference
> oscillators).

As long as the frequency stays put... you're not forced to use
high dollar standards.  Sometimes you have to burn your fingers on
heated channel element assemblies.

> There is some minor distortion in areas where the signal levels
> from two transmitters are comparable due to the lack of AF
> time-alignment, but none of the users have ever commented on it.

Most don't know what it is...  a usable signal is butta' than
no usable signal.  The human brain has one real good audio dsp
filter software built right in.

> Still bugs ME though - will have to do something about
> that eventually...

Another example of a "round tu-it" Jeff?

> I question whether or not the Icom radios they used for "links"
> are certificated for use as fixed station equipment.  We've had
> local instances of field agents from the Commission shutting down
> Part 22 and Part 90 base/repeater stations operating using mobile
> radios.

Almost never happens except when there is a problem, which might
bring the Evil Fire-Eye of Sauron looking up from Mordor.

> In one case, a Mitrek had such bad LO leakage that it was getting
> into another receiver several miles away, which is what prompted
> the FCC interference investigation.
> --- Jeff

Someone not paying attention to the details turns the Eye of Fire
toward them. He will send Orcs to visit you.

cheers,
skipp