Jay,

Here on some of the towers that hold repeaters, cel phone sites, FM
broadcast all with helix they use the proper clamp at 5 ft or less
intervals.  See some at about 5" helix, but most either 7/8 or 1-5/8.

I have also seen 1ft pieces of #14 house wire cut to 1 ft lengths
used with success, but have to make sure properly route arround tower
leg flanges or movement, and there is suppose to be some movement,
will eventually ware into feedline jacket.  Prefer the clamps, but at
$3 each the wire looked good and did work or now since 1998.

73, ron, n9ee/r