I have a Garmin GPSMap 76 CSx and I love it. I just upgraded from a
eTrex Legend and the difference in technology is huge.  I am a member
of a SAR team and about 10 of my teammates have a version of the
GPSMap 76 and all love it as well.

If you are looking for a hand held or portable unit look at one with a
 SiRFstarIII™ GPS receiver - it locks up on the satellite faster, is
more sensitive and can maintain lock even in thick tree cover, in
vehicles, etc.

I would highly recommend an external antenna and 12v power cord as well.

The removable/expandable memory is a big plus especially if you travel
a lot or geocache (a great way to learn to use your GPS and fun).  The
base map on my unit is okay, but for what I do the  Garmin topo maps
are much better, of course YMMV.

One last suggestion for after you purchase a GPS, read the manual and
spend two or three days learning how to use it.  I have had mine for 2
months and am still learning how to use some of the functions.

Paul