For decades the US military has used 30-75 MHz as its ground operations bands.
This is the main band used by military ground forces.  They do stay away from
most of other service uses, but when needed they use whatever they want in this
spectrum.  It is 25 kHz dev FM.

The military is moving more to sat comm due to its security of a small dish on
the ground pointed up and hard to intercept and they can link up to about any
where in the world.  Washington can give direct support to a mission 10,000
miles away.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: ensemble953039 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2007/07/29 Sun PM 03:53:55 CDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: 4 meters

>Hi,
>   the "green hats" are the military and although we here in the U.K.
>do have the 4m band it is at the top end of the "Tac" military band.
>    We don't seem to be bothered by them or them by us as we also
>share that part of the spectrum with commercial interests,so with
>all interests interwoven we all seem to get along.
>
>Adam g8umx
>
>--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN MACKEY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>
>> What are "green hats"?