> Still, you can't build an effective LPF for it.  Best you
> could do would be to put a 6 dB/octave LPF that broke around
> 2 x 67 Hz, & let the higher tone frequencies get rolled off.
> Either way, you still get buzzzzzzzzz...

Do you assume multiple frequency operation? I set the oscillator
to one frequency and park it inside the radio. Place the sonic page
described or similar rc filter in line and try the circuit. You'll
find it works pretty well for what it is... the only buzzzzz that
makes it to and through most modulators is pretty much only the
desired ctcss frequency. I've never experienced a case where the
delivered audio was objectionable.

> I never found the 555 to be very stable; the XR2206 always
> did better.
> Bob NO6B

But the 2206 tends to be much less tolerant of voltage and temp
changes as found in 99% plus mobile radio operations. Otherwise
a great chip for what it is...

I wouldn't have put the 555 ctcss encoder circuit on the sonic
web page unless I was sure it was a well tested design that worked
really well. I haven't had to build one in a number of years but
we cranked out a few hundred back in the day... never a failure
or complaint. Sure there are better ctcss generator alternatives
but probably not for the price and performance of the described
555 encoder circuit.

cheers,
skipp