[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>At 9/1/2007 16:51, you wrote:
>

>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>>Thanks Nate.  This is most informative.  Now if you throw in the added
>>>benefit of DStar's error correction coding, I believe 10 kHz is the ideal
>>>channel spacing.
>>>
>>>Which is good for us here in SoCal because TASMA just voted to create 4
>>>auxiliary link pairs for very narrow band digital systems at 145.585,
>>>145.595, 145.605 & 145.615 outputs (inputs all -600 kHz).  With the 10 kHz
>>>spacing, currently only DStar systems are compatible so they're essentially
>>>DStar pairs.
>>>
>>>I expect all 4 pairs to be assigned to 1 or more DStar systems at our next
>>>coordination meeting.
>>>
>>>Bob NO6B
>>>

>>Bob,
>>
>>Does this mean TASMA has made the determination that DStar "repeaters"
>>are not by definition a repeater (as part 97 would define a typical
>>analog mode repeater) and can be operated outside the defined repeater
>>sub bands as an auxiliary station while still performing the functional
>>equivalent of an analog mode repeater?
>>

>>Ed Yoho
>>WA6RQD
>>

>We do not address the issue of whether D-Star systems are repeaters.  We do
>claim that they fit the definition of an auxiliary station as defined in
>Part 97.3 (a)(7) & therefore may be operated in the 145.50-145.80 MHz segment.
>
>Bob NO6B

Interesting. Does TASMA consider other digital format (P25, etc.)
systems to also be within the auxiliary class?
If so and the FCC does not formally disagree, it would create quite a
few additional pairs (although they would not be 600KHz splits) for
digital audio retransmission as inputs could be below 144.5 MHz and
outputs above 145.5 MHz.

Ed Yoho
WA6RQD