On Sep 5, 2007, at 7:17 PM, Bob Dengler wrote:

> FWIW, the control op didn't need to be physically at the IRLP node
> in order
> to control it, but rather present at a CONTROL POINT.  This means
> one could
> control their IRLP node via a radio control link (not common but
> possible),
> or (more likely) via the internet from another location.  I don't know
> about Echolink, but for IRLP I can control our club's node from any
> place I
> can run an SSH client.

Understood.  How many simplex node owners did you hear out driving
around talking through their nodes with no mobile data or other means
of controlling that simplex node?

Come on.  I know the rules.  I also know at least 99% of those nodes
are not under a control operator's CONTROL when they were being used.

Many of the people we assisted getting the Linux OS loaded from the
customized CD for IRLP didn't even know what SSH was, and wouldn't
still today, if asked... unless they joined the mailing list(s) and
learned it later, after using the nodes for some time.

During that phase in the rules, I always had a "blurb" I sent to new
node owners who shared that they were VHF simplex, explaining the
situation and politely asking them (ESPECIALLY in the early days,
when some countries still didn't even allow Internet linking and were
watching the U.S. Hams carefully to see "how it was going", not to
embarrass the rest of us by running something blatantly illegal.  I'd
say 1 out of 5 hams sent that note responded positively with
something like, "Hey, I never thought of that.  I'll fire up a 220/
UHF/whatever radio instead!  Thanks!".

The attitude was one of "we don't give a ****".  No matter whether
they'd figured out the Control Point loop-hole, or not.  Most simply
didn't care what Part 97 said... and still don't.

The only saving grace was that most of these "micro-nodes" also were
put up by folks who thought a 1/4 antenna in the basement "worked
great".  Although we did have international complaints from simplex
operators in Canada who were being interfered with my IRLP nodes in
the U.S. on simplex that were left connected to Reflectors 24/7 with
no one monitoring them.

Those e-mails were touchy... "Dear sir, IRLP as a whole is not
responsible for the irresponsible actions of a single Amateur in your
area.  Please endeavor to copy the callsign of the Amateur station in
question and see if you can contact them directly.  If they've
provided contact information for their node, it will be listed on the
http://status.irlp.net web pages, but this is not mandatory
information that we require."

And then of course, we'd find out that MOST of those nodes also had
no CW or other ID's active of any kind... yet another basic rules
violation...

I liked the thought of 2m IRLP simplex nodes for their simplicity,
etc... but over time as a volunteer answering complaint e-mail, I
came to really dislike the reality of simplex nodes on 2m, and I'm a
huge IRLP fan and proponent, volunteer, etc.   The thought vs.
reality thing... bites every time.

To keep this on-topic, an IRLP node (or EchoLink for that matter)
with TCP/IP all the way to the repeater site, and hooked to a port on
a multi-port controller, is a wonderful thing.  Virtually impossible
to screw up the audio, etc... and it sounds flawless.  When the
experimental "RAW" CODEC at 64 Kb/s plus overhead was tested for a
while (before being pulled back due to some strange driver bugs in
Linux audio on certain types of sound cards), a couple of nodes set
up properly easily sounded like the person on the other end was a
local.  Even the 32Kb/s ADPCM CODEC gets real close -- you can hear
the faintest artifacts in the silent portions of the transmissions,
if you listen hard.

To keep us REALLY on-topic...

I hear that a couple of groups have experimented with feeding voters
from nailed up IRLP links (they hacked on the code and took out the
software that makes an IRLP node a member of the network at large,
and just use them point-to-point), and while I was skeptical because
each "receiver site" would be slightly out of timing with the others,
because of the different latency numbers on each Internet path, the
groups doing the experimentation say it works pretty well.   Nifty
way to do voted receiver sites, if it really does work as well as
they say it does.

(For anyone reading along, don't ask how to make an IRLP node into a
point-to-point link... I won't help anyone with that, since IRLP
doesn't officially support that type of node... it's not hard to
figure out, but it's not my place to share info on it, either...
sorry.  Read the code, it's possible.)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X