-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com On Behalf Of Mike Morris WA6ILQ

It's called "passive intermodulation"...

Read this excellent writeup by Narda Corp (a manufacturer of
high quality microwave stuff):
< http://www.nardamicrowave.com/east/appnotesrefregpdf/WIRE0048.pdf >

Look for the section titled "CAUSES OF IMD IN FILTERS AND
FERRITES" and points 1 and 6 are the most applicable. Point 3
is why Stationmasters with internal cracked elements create
duplex noise and IMD.

Mike WA6ILQ