To amplify on Skipp's statement about ADI radios, I have a 220
repeater in Skipp's vault on Mount Vaca, and I was using an ADI 220
radio to monitor it.  It was on constantly for about six months; the
display would become unintelligible, and the radio would stop
transmitting.  I would do a hard reset, and it would start working
again; but it would lose all its programming.  I finally gave up and
purchased a new ALINCO a year ago and have been pleased with the
radio, it just keeps percolating along.

Gregory AC6VJ

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "skipp025" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> QST wrote a 224 MHz radio review a few years back and I had been
> meaning to save it. Three or four of the available 224 MHz radios
> were covered.  Alinco, ADI, Kenwood, Icom and someone else... at
> least.
>
> Alinco Radios have a pretty good reputation and my ham friend likes
> to beat the snot out of his gear... yet it keeps on playing like
> the day it was built. Of the two Alinco Radios that I know were
> returned for service... both were fixed right the first time and
> returned in a semi normal amount of time.
>
> ADI radios have had reports inbound about the display failing...
and
> no replacement. I have yet to confirm that report but I have heard
> it from a number of people/places. But ADI radios are also sold for
> really cheap prices.
>
> I've got a few Kenwood TM-331 radios and they work pretty good for
> what they are. I also have and love my original 3530 Kenwood but
it's
> long out of production.
>
> The Icom IC-37a? is/was a very popular radio in its day... but had
> reports of the PA Module failing in more than a few cases. If
> you can find a used radio, simply throttle the power back and/or
> run it on the low power setting. Nice compact size radio...
>
> The QST Magazine review was pretty good... in addition to the
normal
> ham band operation... one or two of the radios also provided a
measure
> of receive (only) frequency coverage well past the ham bands. One
> radio model even included an AM detector, which I thought was
pretty
> neat.  Just add a bfo and notch filter and you could listen into
> SSB & ACSB trunking traffic (if there's any left out there...).
There