I have had great service out of an Antennex 5 dbd UHF fiberglass antenna. It is mounted near the top of a 2000' tower and has been up for maybe 8 years with no problem at all. It was to be a temporary replacement for a DB420 but since it is working, I just never got around to swapping them out. It doesn't have the same coverage but is holding up well.

I have had problems with DB 224s on the tall tower. The elements break due to vibration and ice. Since lightning has not been much of an issue, I have been thinking of replacing the 224s with fiberglass jobs, either Antennex or Stationmasters. But Antennex doesn't seem to offer a 5 dbd model for the hamband.

Dave Baughn
Director of Engineering
The University of Alabama
Center for Public Television and Radio
WVUA/WUOA-TV & WUAL/ WQPR/ WAPR FM
Box 870150
195 Reese Phifer Hall, 901 University Blvd.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487
205.348.8622 cell 205.310.8798
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  KX4I

>>> "kfd29" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/22/2007 9:02 PM >>>

Looking to replace our current VHF Comm. repeater antenna w/ a higher
quality antenna. Orginally wanted the DB series 4bay dipole but not
sure if our current install setup will hold such a beast! Another
thought was using the Antenex series (YDA1504) on a lighter weight mast.

Any pros/cons w/ the Antenex product? Or anyone ever sidemount a db
dipole mast to a building?

<<image/gif>>

<<image/xxx>>