Eric / Don,

Eric you are so right; "A properly designed electrical distribution system--".
However many systems are not designed properly and more are not maintained
properly! It is left up to the customer to correct for these problems. Many 4kv
systems just ahead of the pole transformers do not have transient protection
and none have noise elimination devices. Everything the power companies do is
all related to their cost and they want to keep it to as low a value as
possible.

For the customer, where the power companies responsibility stops and the
customers begin, there needs to be a lighting/transient protection of some
kind. Isolation transformers are not always necessary unless the electronic
equipment is critical or susceptible to transients. There are some isolation
transformers that provide 60 to 70 db isolation and a ferro-resonant
transformer that also provides for line voltage fluxuations. Sola transformers
are a good example.

As an engineer in the 60's, I started using Sola's transformers on all remote
located equipment with a transient protector on the primary of the Sola with
excellent results. I also used Josylan protectors on three phase deep well
pumps with excellent results.

If the power companies did better maintenance, we hams would not have to lead
them to their noise problems. Lighting transients can be picked up by power
lines due to large ground currents and cause problems in all electrical
systems, no matter how well the electrical system is designed and maintained.

Don; there are solutions to your problems, you just have to do some research
and find them.

Fred W5VAY