I once heard of a term called Gain Bandwidth Product where the greater
the bandwidth - lower the gain.  FM commercial broadcast uses extremely
wide bandwidth to support 15 Khz audio and good s/n.  Business once used
+/- 15 kHz transmitter deviation to support 300 to 3000 Hz, then +/- 5
kHz, and now +/- 2.5 kHz.

I have had it explained that DSTAR has better s/n because of it's narrow
bandwidth.

My own observations in 460 mHz trunked radio, repeaters and systems, is
there is not much noticeable difference in analog FM radios whether they
are running 2.5 or 5 kHz transmitter deviation.  Every one has told me
that the s/n will be somewhat worse on 2.5 but I have not noticed it.

This all considers the receiving station is intended to receive the
bandwidth being transmitted.

As far as the antenna goes - within reason bandwidth is not an issue -
kinda like how bright is the light bulb in terms of power applied to the
antenna - the bandwidth should not matter unless you get out of the
design bandwidth of the antenna.

Maybe some graduate engineering student has a thesis on this topic?

Steve NU5D (tired old bench technician)

--
Ham Radio Spoken Here !!!  NU5D EM11
http://www.qrz.com/callsign/NU5D