At 10/24/2007 10:08, you wrote:

>At 10:10 AM 10/23/2007, you wrote:
>
> >No, it's not linear. First off, it doesn't satisfy the superposition
> >principle since it will produce harmonic when fed by a pure sinusoid carrier
> >(hopefully we can agree to that without added discussion), so right off the
> >bat it's nonlinear. Furthermore, it's also non-reciprocal; what enters port
> >1 exits port 2 with little loss, but the converse is not true.
>
><---I though it was linear unless it becomes saturated. Circulators
>are ferrite devices and as long as the ferrite core isn't saturated,
>it remains linear.

True.  I once measured the output of a 220 MHz circulator being pumped with
~80 watts with a spectrum analyzer & couldn't see any 2nd harmonic output
from the circulator.  I think the circulator itself was rated for 350 watts
but not sure; of course the reject load had a much lower rating.

I'm not saying that circulators don't need harmonic filtering, just that
there's no guarantee that one will in fact act in a nonlinear manner,
particularly if driven below saturation.  You have to measure it to be
sure, otherwise be safe & use a LPF or bandpass cavity.

Bob NO6B