The battery life of these devices are typically not affected by the device
being powered.  The battery life is determined primarily by the shelf life of
the battery.  The battery drains itself more than the device which under
standby power, when the Vcc goes below 4.5 V and is powered with at least 2 V
to retain memory, draws less than 1 uA.

This has been a good feature in some SRAM for over 20 years and Dallas
Semiconductor did some excellent jobs with these devices, even with some
micorcomputers like the 87C51 series.  I've used them in a number of non-ham
applications.  Just have to get use to addressing them.

73, ron, n9ee/r