What is your opinion on a ΒΌ wave open stub installed in the receiver side
cut for 104.9?

  _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Wolfe
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:50 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Receiver overload

David,
I suspect that the issue is 104.9 mhz energy coming down the outside of
the feedline and into your receiver. As others have mentioned the maxtrac
has a lot of plastic. A shielded box with no unbypassed wires going in and
out may help. Ferrites on the feedline or a coil in the feedline may help as

well as some more grounds on the feedline. There are also isolation
transformers that could be used at 900 mhz. but they are rare. Mini Circuits

may have them. I once had to mount a UHF Micor receiver in a shielded box as

it picked up cell phones otherwise.

I have operated amateur repeaters in broadcast facilities since the
1970's. It's not unusual to measure +30 or even +40 dbm coming down a
feedline from an antenna mounted not far from an FM broadcasting antenna. I
have been bitten with RF burns from such feedlines more than one. I have
enjoyed much success getting rid of these problems with just a 1/4 wave
shorted stub at the repeater frequencies. However, this apparently is not
your situation. With all the things you've tried to no avail, any 104.9 mhz.

energy on the inside of the feedline doesn't sound like the culprit. That's
why I think it is RF on the shield.

I have been in a great many broadcasting facilities. Many are very well
done with much attention to details. You could eat off the floor and feel
good about it. But many are a real pit with little attention to detail -
just get it on the air. The grounding in these installations is next to
non-existant. Having not seen your neigbor's setup on 104.9, I can't
evaluate it. I also don't know the amount of grounding and bypassing on your

900 mhz. setup. But, based on my experience, I would suspect a feedline hot
with RFon its outside. It might be interesting to visit your neighbor and
see how he is receiving his 940 mhz. studio-transmitter link, which is
apparently unaffected by his 104.9 mhz. transmitter.

Al,
K9SI, BC Engineer/consultant, RETIRED!