Here in Florida near a beach we have found exposed dipoles like the DB224 are
destroyed by the salt air.  They last 6-10 years.  This is most often withing a
couple miles of a beach although I've seen a number die when mounted at longer
distances.

I prefer the fiberglass larger ones like the Super Station Master or Celwave
200.  They last forever.  Understand lightning is a problem due to their
construction using soldered connections.

Fiberglass enclosed antennas such as the Diamonds and Comets do not last...look
at their flimsy construction and one can see why.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: gervais fillion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2007/11/24 Sat AM 08:06:27 CST
>To: repeater-builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Repeater Antenna Choice

>Hi all
>we have been using here
>Sinclair SRL-210 a4 for many years ,they are well built,4 dipoles .
>they have been cloned by many telecom compagny as Comprod too
>
>we have tested Fiberglass antenna,after a time the coating of the fibreglass
>dissapear and the fiber of the fiberglass broke
>due to salted winds,,,,,,,,,we prefer metal antenna since then
>
>to bad i have one in my garage,srl210,which i dont used for many years
>
>73/s all
>gervais
>

>> To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:13:12 +0000
>> Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Repeater Antenna Choice
>>
>> Derek,
>>
>> Going to the higher gain antenna may cause shadowing in some areas
>> close in to the repeater site if its up real high. I also like the
>> DB-408 antennas and am using them on my systems. The fiberglass
>> antennas are OK also, But if they take a lightning hit they are gone.
>> I had an ASP copy of a DB813 on a water tower and it took a direct hit
>> and it still worked great. I had a big burn mark on one of the loops.
>> It also had a red plastic cap on the top and it was burned and
>> blackened. To me the loop style antennas are the way to go for
>> antennas in areas the there is a good chance of being hit by
>> lightning. If you are going to sidemount a fiberglass antenna you need
>> to be 3 to 6 feet out from the side of the tower as the fiberglass
>> antennas need room to flex. An arm out to the upper part of the
>> fiberglass antenna is a good idea. With the
>> antenna manufactures going overseas to build antennas the quality is not
>> like the ones we got years ago. You may want to look at COMPROD
>> antennas. There web site is www.comprodcom.com they build great antennas.
>>
>> 73 from Paul W9DWP
>>

>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>

>Envoie un sourire, fais rire, amuse-toi! Employez-le maintenant!

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS
Owner 146.64 repeater Tampa Bay, FL