The person Paul refers to built 2 of these antennas, from scratch, (originally called a DB-244 by Decibel Products) for our group in the early 80's. The antennas are still in operation 1500' up the broadcast tower today, one used for RX and one used for TX - no duplexer. Performance remains superb.

BTW, reflecting on a discussion about the Midland 13-509 radio for repeater operation, these antennas are connected to a split apart 13-509, built at the same time as the antennas. I know this is the kiss of death, but other than a run away crystal oven (it gets very cold at 1500' in an outdoor cabinet) the Midland repeater has had no failures after 25+ years of service. We keep intending to modify a hi-band GE MVP, but as long as the Midland keeps working, the project is low on the to-do list.

I have one of the factory DB 220 antennas on the ground back in Texas, and will see it in a few weeks. I can take the measurements (unless someone else in DFW wants to do it) and a few pictures. If someone really really thinks they have to this one, I can be coaxed into selling it, local DFW pick-up only, I will not ship it.

Mike / W5JR / Milton GA (a "suburb" of Alpharetta)

Posted by: "Paul Finch" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Re%3A%20220%20repeater%20antennas>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://profiles.yahoo.com/wb5idm>wb5idm

Tue Dec 4, 2007 9:07 pm (PST)

I have a friend that has made his own 220 MHz version of the DB antenna, the
worst problem he had was getting the harness to seal. I told him about
Scotchkoat and he has not had a problem since. By the way, the Vapor Block
coax does not do much for me. If the coax is sealed correctly you will
never get water in it. All Vapor Block does is make it hard to work with,
it still lets water migrate to the lowest point in the coax which is usually
the Heliax connector.

The problem with my friend right now is he is 76 years old and his mind
seems to be going away. He was supposed to build me an antenna but has
forgotten about it. The two antennas (1 TX, 1 RX) on his 500 foot tower
have been up for about ten years with no problem.

Paul