Joel,

Here is something else.  This is not on topic except for the fact that the
product we are talking about uses this as it’s main solvent and we use this
stuff to seal antennas.  If it’s dangerous everybody needs to know it.

Moderators, if it’s too far off topic lets us know please.

Reference: HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_ethyl_ketone"http://en.wikipedia.org/wi
ki/Methyl_ethyl_ketone

Paul

Butanone is a manufactured HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry"organic chemical. It is a
colorless liquid with a sharp, sweet odor. It is a HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone"ketone, also known as methyl ethyl
ketone (MEK).

Butanone is produced in large quantities. Nearly half of it is used in
HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint"paints and other coatings
because it will quickly evaporate. It HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvation"dissolves many substances and is
used as a HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent"solvent in
processes involving HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gum"gums, HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin"resins, HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose_acetate"cellulose acetate and
HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose_nitrate"nitrocellulose
coatings and in vinyl films. It is also used in the HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_synthesis"synthetic HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber"rubber industry, It is used in
manufacturing plastics, textiles, in the production of HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin_wax"paraffin wax, and in household
products such as HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer"lacquer,
HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish"varnishes, paint remover, a
denaturing agent for HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol"denatured alcohol, HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhesive"glues and as a cleaning agent. It is
used for synthesis of HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_ethyl_ketone_peroxide"methyl ethyl
ketone peroxide, a catalyst for some HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerization"polymerization reactions. It is
highly HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammable"flammable. It is
not considered a large health threat.

Butanone occurs as a natural product. It is made by some trees and found in
some HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit"fruits and HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable"vegetables in small amounts. It is
also released to the air from HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile"car and HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck"truck exhausts.

[HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Butanone&action=edit&section=1"ed
it] Health effects

The known HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects"health
effects to people from exposure to butanone are HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritation"irritation of the nose, throat,
skin, and eyes. There are no known cases of any humans dying from breathing
butanone alone. However, if butanone is breathed along with other chemicals
that damage health, it can increase the amount of damage that occurs.

Serious health effects in animals have been seen only at very high levels.
When breathed, these effects included HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_defect"birth defects (Schwetz et al.
1991. Fund. Appl. Toxicol. 16:742-748), loss of HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness"consciousness, and death. When
swallowed, HYPERLINK "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat"rats had HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervous_system"nervous system effects
including drooping eyelids and uncoordinated muscle movements. There was no
damage to the ability to reproduce. Mice who breathed low levels for a short
time showed temporary behavioral effects. Mild HYPERLINK
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney"kidney damage was seen in animals that
drank water with low levels of butanone for a short time.

There are no long-term studies with animals either breathing or drinking
butanone.

   _____