[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was told by our local techs. half duplex is OK on links.
> Their Vhf link system uses half duplex link equipment to a 442
> repeater.
> Is full duplex better? Why?

Depends on what you want to do.

We implement some full-duplex links, others half duplex... but the half
duplex links have a "full break in" type of setup going the direction
AWAY from the main site.  The reason?  Control.

If the remote (far away) site has an open squelch/CTCSS problem and we
want to control it, we need that link to "turn around" and go the other
direction so we can send commands to it.

(We typically have more than one method of control, but for a "last
ditch effort" we want the RF side to be able to get there.  If a link is
half-duplex and the receiver at the remote site is open causing the link
to transmit back to the hub/main system, we HAVE to have a way to turn
that link around.  Having to go look up control codes to do it is
annoying... we build 'em so that they ALWAYS give the main site priority
over anything of the outlying repeaters at the "edge" of the topology.

> We have three Uhf repeaters which can be linked. Each end tx is
> on 444. Were the center tx is on 448. So, the ends could have
> link equipment to the center repeater.

With properly done filtering, yes.  You can even share antennas with the
right setup.

> Or should the link equipment be added to all three sites using a
> link simplex frequency?

See above... we won't ever do simplex if we can avoid it.  If NOTHING
else, we can always put a transmitter of our own on the air on the
receive frequency of the remote site and over-ride whatever's locking up
the system... etc.  Think about the failure modes and engineer them out.

> With only two Uhf sites, can/should the equipment be on set to
> use the opposite frequency pair, with one being the repeater and
> the other the link, or should a simplex link frequency and equipment
> be installed and used at each site?

Another very good option is to get away from UHF links altogether.  Go
down to 220 MHz, or up to 900 MHz, 1.2 GHz, etc.  Utilize the low-usage
bands, and you'll have oceans of spectrum to utilize if you find a
particular link frequency is noisy, etc.  (Unless you live somewhere
where 220 MHz is busy like SoCal.)

Nate WY0X