The most reliable solution is to just break those flimsy socket pins off
and solder the wires directly to the transistor leads.  I've had several
supplies fail because of these type sockets.  I suspect the transistor
may have failed because of the heat produced by the small contact area
of the socket pins.  Never had a transistor failure after soldering.

Dex