Vern,

I am assuming you have RC-1000 and not RC-1000V (slight differences).

As to connecting to RC-1000 or to the MII I would recommend to
RC-1000.  This gives you the option of switching between CTCSS or
carrier mode.  It is probably easier...TS64 white wire (mute) to
P3-pin 7 for decode.

In later RC-1000s, less than 3 years old, the encode can be controlled
for its on time allowing the tone to be turned on/off based on
repeater input and a timer (tail timer for encode).  There are many
uses for this one being remoted Echolink. Another user quiting of
their receivers before repeater dropping.  This is done by connecting
orange wire (ptt input) to AUX 1, P2-pin 5.

On RC1000 the decode state is low requiring on the TS64 to bridge JP7.
 On RC-1000V it is high and no jumper here.

As another post said I recommend using the on board filter to remove
the encode tone before the controller.

Comm Spec put a lot of thought in the TS64 and has some very good
features.  As another post stated get TS64DS.  Couple dollars more,
but comes with dip switch for selecting tone freq.  On TS64 requires
inserting jumpers.  Kinda a pain, but it is smaller if space were a
problem.

73, ron, n9ee/r