Richard,

A good generator would be a Service Monitor like one of the older IFRs, but
these go for $500-$1000 for a used one.  Many are in questionable condition,
but some are pretty good.

However, just for a generator I use an old Motorola "Solid State Generator"
(that is the only label on it).  They are shown in the Micor manuals.  It
covers 25-470 MHz and after about 30 minutes warm up is pretty stable.  Of
course analog tuning and not good for freq source, but the labeled variable
knob output attenuator is good for tuning and check sen of receivers.

You can probably get one for nothing to maybe $60.

I have an older version, but think it is tube.  I can check it out and see if
still works.  Have not had it plugged in for at least 3 years.  If interested
I'll drag it out and check.  I would take $30, but shipping would probably be
$20.  It is heavy, 2 lb.  Not too big; maybe 12h x 8w x 7d.  Looks similar to
the Mot above, but tall instead of wide.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: Richard Bessey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2008/03/29 Sat AM 01:18:13 CDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Frequency Generator Reccomendations

>Builders,
>I was hopeful I could get some advice. I have two Motorola Mitrek UHF
>radios I am converting to a GMRS repeater.
>
>I have spent hours getting the controller wired, radios tuned, coax
>setup, etc... I am in the final stages of tuning the reciever and have
>ran into the problem of requiring a frequency generator for 462/467 Mhz
>with adjustable amplitude/voltage. A local ham had a collection of old
>tube freq. generators, but I had alot of trouble getting the ones to
>work on UHF.
>
>I also noticed several Frequency generator/counter combos on ebay, they
>look handy and fairly well priced.
>
>Does anyone have recommendations as far as make/model. I don't need
>anything fancy, as long as it works well and is reasonably priced (The
>cheaper, the better)
>
>Regards,
>
>Richard Bessey

Ron Wright, N9EE