  From: Bruce Bagwell
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 6:46 AM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Mot Micor T74RT3000AA

  Hello All and thanks to all who replied.

  A bit of my history. I am a self-taught with mail-order electronics courses
and the time-to-time help of fine people like you guys.
  A machinist by trade until major surgery that left me disabled with Chronic
Pancreatitis.
  Most of my electronics work is with AF amplifiers, light control systems
(night clubs, etc.) and some TV work. Computers since my first TI99-4A in the
early '80's.  Computers, I only go to board level. Parts are too cheap to even
bother trying to figure exactly what is wrong, just plug in a new board.
Besides, I don't have the eyesight or super steady hands for the newer SMT
stuff! Besides,I don't do electronics on a daily basis. Seems like only when
something quits and needs to get fixed.

  When it comes to Radio, while I know the theory from my studies (And I need
to go back and brush up for sure!) the actual practice is another story. That
is why I have thrown a few questions your way.

  When I was asked to go through, catalog and dispose of this Gentleman's Radio
shack, I decided to get my HAM ticket. There would never be a better time for
sure!  This Gentleman worked for Business and Govt., working mainly on Johnson
and Motorola, and never threw anything away!

  This Micor probably got in the back shed because it had problems and the
company just bought another, etc. I simply thought it might be a good way for
me to learn by doing.  I asked you guys about it because like I said, I know
the theory but you guys know the practice better than I ever will! I fully
agree, and it has been said many times in this group, to ALWAYS get something
working like it was BEFORE making any changes. At least that way, you know
everything was working until you started changing stuff, etc! I have yet to
find A Micor control head but looked at schematic. If schematic is complete
doesn't look like much to build one.  Also, have A (from memory and hope this
is right) Motorola "Talk-A Phone" head like I remember seeing in every Cop Car
and TaxiCab in the ;late '60's and '70's. Maybe that could be adapted. One
question, according to the Model #, this Micor was 2ch. TX and 2ch. RX. Does
that mean there should (could) be another element?

  As for the newer stuff, will soon be buying a Kenwood TM-V71A Dual Band
Mobile rig. Again, only thinking about this for practice and learning.

  I have all the test equipment except for a spectrum analyzer (DMM, O-Scope,
Comm. Monitor, Freq. Counter, Dummy loads, etc.) Remember, I am going though
the estate of someone who did this for a living, plus the test equip. I already
have.

  All that being said, I will have many things for sale soon, but on this
topic, I have found several Motorola elements and
  Johnson X-Tals.
  The Mot's are:
  Qty 4 of P/N K1005A (2)-R155.605Mhz 15767.222Khz
                           (1)-R155.790Mhz 16.01000Khz
                           (1)-R154.950Mhz 15.916666Khz
  Qty 1 of P/N K1007A T-158.235Mhz 13186.250Khz
  No idea if these are good or not, no way to test. Will use gentleman's
agreement. send to you then you send back $$$ if seems OK to you. You tell me
what they are worth.

  As for the Johnson X-Tals, they are in original envelope, most with Comp.
Cap.  Too many to list here. If you need one, send either P/N and/or Freq. And
I will see If I have it.

  Also have Com Monitor IFR FM/AM 1200A. Sorry, not the "S" Model with Spectrum
Analyzer.
  I also have a 100ft.+ AGL guyed tower QTH Wichita Falls, TX. However, this
owner simply wants someone to take it away for free. Come get it and it is
yours.

  Sorry for the long letter but it might help you guts better understand me.
The RF stuff, in practice, is new to me and I well know electricity can do some
really weird things at high freq's! and I don't, as yet, understand all of it.
Will stick my nose back in the books for sure!

  Thanks again for all the help!
  The "Repeater Builder" Site is A wealth of info for sure!!

  Bruce Bagwell
  KE5TPN