I have 2 UHF duplexers, one Decibel labeled by GE, and a Motorola.
  Both are using RG142 coaxial cable which is double shielded tinned or
silver braid.
  I also have a pair of VHF Decibel cans that are using a jumper of RG214U
between the two cans. I presume the 214 is silver or tinned braid.

  On this subject, I have a length of Times Microwave cable marked RT-142,
and I cannot locate specs for the particular cable. Brown transparent
outer insulation, and looks exactly like RG142. It has a layer of
insulation between the two shield layers, and looks to be silver braid. I
don't know if it specs the same as RG142 or not. I did a lot of searching
and came up blank for the most part.

  I'll also point out that there are many versions of duplexer cans not
touched in this topic, so far anyway. I have, as I mentiuoned in one post
recently, 3 large Motorola Ash Cans, big grey, etc... Not to mention a
couple of small UHF duplexers hiding away. One I stripped out of a hunk of
crap mobile phone (Motorola UHF), and one that is similar but uses oddball
connectors that resemble a mini BNC with the center connectors reversed,
and seemingly impossible to find. I keep debating as to replacing them
with chassis mount BNC's or seeing if I can take them apart for reuse. The
latter does not always work well. It came with two short cables with RCA
connectors on the other ends.
  Did big "M" have a habit of using oddball conenctors at times? I have
only worked om Motracs, Mocoms and their cousins, plus a few twin Vee's,
as far as "M" goes. hated working on the circuit boards in the Motracs,
had to add CTCSS boards to a couple of them.
  YMMV

  Wayne WA2YNE

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:12:22 -0500, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 4/11/2008 13:43, you wrote:
>

>> > which will provide the necessary isolation although there
>> > is a large segment of the forum participants that feel that
>> > untinned double shielded cable is vulnerable to low level noise
>>
>> ....not the untinned part... the part with dissimilar shield
>> materials is the problem generator. In short vulnerable no,
>> possible PIM generator yes.
>>
>> You're preaching to the choir. I think untinned double shielded
>> copper is very adequate to duplexer connections. But there are
>> contributors aboard who feel that silver plated shields are a better
>> choice.
>
> I don't think the duplexer interconnect cables are all that critical
> until
> you get to the antenna T interconnects.  Everything behind that is
> partially filtered already.  However, the cables on the T & everything
> hanging on the antenna port should be either solid (hardline) or
> silver-plated braid shielding.  I've actually had plain copper-braided
> RG-214 coax on the antenna port of a UHF duplexer cause desense; had to
> replace it with silver-plated RG-214 to eliminate it.
>
> Bob NO6B

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: