I have found that adding a resistor in series with the fan and a
capacitor across the fan will do the same job as an inductor and
capacitor without taking up as much space.  The value of resistor I use
is just enough to drop the voltage by about 1/2 volt.  For a fan drawing
0.5A, use a 1 ohm 1W resistor. For other current draws adjust
accordingly. It is not critical.  The fan speed will not change much -
12vdc fans will run as low as 6-7v normally.

Burt  VE2BMQ