Paul,

Yep that is the advantage of side mounted antennas, but they can still take a
hit.  Normally much less of a hit, but can be a problem.

Probably most damage done with hits is not the direct hit, but where it goes
after.  It can hit your antenna and end up in your computer which was not
connected to any of the RF gear.  I experienced this about a month ago.  Direct
hit on an antenna that was not connected to anything and the lightning got to
my Verizon router/phone/cable system.  Took out most of it and the 2 computers
connected.  Blew the heck out of the antenna.  Was all over the yard.

With the high currents from lightning high voltages are generated all thru its
path and these in the wrong places can jump to other pieces.

73, ron, n9ee/r