Nate Duehr wrote:
> wd8chl wrote:
>
>> Good. D-Star and other digital voice modes do NOT need more spectrum on 2M.
>>
>> If a digital voice mode does not have some sort of provision for
>> monitoring for non-digital activity, or preventing transmission if there
>> is any, it needs to be redesigned, as it can easily be considered
>> illegal. P25 has it.
>
> The requirement for repeaters to monitor their output frequency was
> dropped years ago Jim, if that's where you're headed.

No, it wasn't.

  A D-STAR repeater
>   doesn't monitor for non-digital activity, and neither does a modern
> analog repeater monitor for someone talking on the output frequency.

No, only concerned with end-user radios.

> (Yes, there were once requirements long before I was even a ham to do
> so, as I've learned from others.)

I think I heard that too-but I don't know repeaters here that ever did it!

> As far as user rigs go, the Icom D-STAR user rigs do have the ability to
> do a busy channel lockout on both analog and digital signals.  So that's
> covered.  Just like SOME P25 rigs.  (Remember D-STAR is just an open
> protocol, Icom just happens to be the only manufacturer making them
> right now.  A ham in Japan has built a fully-working D-STAR interface to
> hook to his FT-817 that works just fine also.)

That's what I was headed towards. The original post of the FCC answer
(the part I quoted) seemed to lead that the petitioners were requesting
additional repeater spectrum partially based on D-Star users not being
able to determine if a frequency was in use by another mode. That is
decidedly NOT a legitimate concern! There needs to be means to determine
that there is other traffic on the frequency, somehow.

> Your assertion that ALL P25 rigs do busy channel lockout, is flat out
> wrong.

I never said that. I said that they all have some means of monitoring
the channel for activity. Most have the 'dual-mode' feature I mentioned,
most DO have BCL (but MOST don't have it programmed), and all at least
have either a hangup clip function for mobiles, or a monitor button next
to the PTT for handhelds.