Nate,

My thoughts on putting 2 D* repeaters in one analog UHF channel (I don't like the word channel in Ham Radio, but guess I need to get over it) is since 25 kHz spacing and D* occuping 6+ kHz then say taking 444.250 ch, putting one D* at
444.24375
and one at
444.25625
(the D* rigs will tune these).

They would put them 18.75 kHz away from the +/-25kHz of the adjactent repeaters. It would be squeeze, but not much more than say on 2 m at 20 kHz spacing and better than the 15 kHz spacing. And since D* is only 6 kHz (+/-3kHz) it should work. UHF is good start with the 25 kHz spacing.

Sure each repeater needs to be studied. Would not put these at same site and would have to know about other repeaters in same area. Wide area coverage another issue, but since we now put repeaters close on 2m with 20 kHz spacing and 16F3 mod it should work.

When one goes from 16 kHz wide signal to 6 kHz wide it opens up a lot. This is the thinking of FCC with the 12.5 and 6.25 narrow banding (I know you know this, hi).

The rigs are the problem as with commercial. Commercial are better positioned for they need to change radios every 5 or less years anyway. Since the users are not the owners they use the rigs to open beer cans, crack nuts, beat their kids, etc. So changing is not as difficult.

Hams keep everything forever even if it don't work...well I do.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE

727-376-6575

MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS