Allan,

I question the relevance, but here goes. I just modeled an ordinary half-wave
dipole in free space in EZNEC. 20 MHz low at 450 MHz is about 4.5%.

At 4.5% above design frequency, the difference in the pattern of the single
dipole is negligible, and the gain rises 0.04 dB.
At 4.5% below design frequency, the difference in the pattern of the single
dipole is negligible, and the gain drops 0.04 dB.

For entertainment's sake, I modeled it at 100% above design frequency.
Impedance is 1754 ohms, for an SWR of 44.9:1, but assuming you could match it
without loss, you'd enjoy 1.79 dB gain at the horizon, slightly elongating the
major lobes in a polar plot.

Is it your position that combining a bunch of dipoles in a colinear phased
array does not change their behavior compared to a single dipole? If that's
true, we're all been wasting lots of money.

By the way, my recent modeling experience has been almost exclusively with
half-wave dipoles, fed in-phase, spaced a half-wave apart, for applications
involving single-site low-band repeaters using separate antennas to achieve
isolation through vertical separation. In this application, the null in the
vertical axis is much more important than the beamwidth at the horizon.

I acknowledge that the available bandwidth before the pattern decays may be
different in the commercial antennas being discussed. If someone can tell me
the spacing and phasing of the elements in the popular folded-dipole arrays,
I'll try modeling them at some point, and see how they behave differently from
my application.

I've also played a little with antennas spaced at 3/8- and 5/8-wave, with
phasing leading or lagging by 45 degrees, and some very interesting "fill"
patterns can be created.

73,
Paul, AE4KR