Jesse,

The short answer is that switching power supplies are significantly more
efficient than either linear or ferro-resonant power supplies over most of
their output range.  At idle, switchers draw practically no current, whereas
linear and ferro-resonant supplies are always generating some heat- and heat
is wasted power.

Before we get too far into this discussion, I must remind our readers that
measurement of AC power requires a true-RMS power meter; one cannot measure
AC power by taking independent readings of voltage and current.  When
separate readings of AC voltage and AC current are made and then multiplied
together, the product is volt-amperes not watts.  Volt-amperes, or VA, is
apparent power not real power, and it will be greater than real power in any
inductive circuit.  To measure real power accurately, an AC power meter uses
a four-quadrant multiplier to make measurements of voltage and current at
the same point in the cycle.  The aluminum disc that spins in your
kilowatthour meter is driven by two coils- one which is energized by the
line voltage, and one which is energized by line current.  The torque
produced in the disc is the instantaneous product of voltage and current,
and that torque is proportional to true power in watts.  A permanent magnet
"brake" controls the speed of the disc so that it is calibrated in watts and
is geared to a dial that displays the accumulated energy consumed in
kilowatthours.  Your electric bill is for consumption of watts, not
volt-amperes.

I have just posted a number of power supply load test reports in the Files
section of the Repeater-Builder site.  Look for a folder entitled, Power
Supplies.

This is a work in progress, and I am collecting new data as time permits.  I
just upgraded my electronic load, and I can now load up to 50 amperes, so
several of my load tests will be repeated.  Also, I started my project using
a fairly stiff 120 VAC branch circuit, but I soon realized that test results
were affected by the droop in my line voltage caused by increasing voltage
drop as the load on the UUT increased.  More recent tests have been
performed with an input maintained at exactly 120 VAC.

Since the efficiency of any appliance is the ratio of power out to power in,
the "Overall Efficiency" value is just that- the DC load in watts divided by
the AC input power in watts.  Ironically, the overall efficiency of some
power supply designs will vary significantly as the AC input voltage varies.
Linear power supplies, such as the Astron RS-35, become more efficient as
the input voltage drops, because less heat is generated in the pass
transistors.  At a point just above the level where output regulation fails,
the pass transistors are saturated and generating minimum heat.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY