Bill Hudson wrote:

> HOWEVER ~ FREE IS BETTER.
>
> There is a really great program that is FREE - called Audacity.  I would not
> hesitate to use it in the broadcast world.  It does everything I would need
> to do a broadcast.  Go check it out at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity is a shiny wonderful toy in a sea of crud.  I like it too,
Bill!  One of the things that ALWAYS gets loaded on every machine, and
it's written cross-platform to boot!  Can load it on just about any OS
in existence...

Having a high-quality sound card or device (I have an external M-Audio
Firewire gadget that has XLR inputs, other inputs and basically is the
input side of a mixer board, which can provide phantom power for mics,
etc... from the large Firewire cable directly... and then you get a
software app to play the role of the mixer board) helps it out too.

For quick and dirty recordings with a good quality mic in the field,
it's hard to beat that kind of gadget tied to Audacity for raw recording
power... Love it.

Nate WY0X