> My exact issue when looking at S/N generators -- the analog
> part. Which is why I am about to build a 2-3kHz bandpass
> filter and switch to looking for low averaged values by less
> integration (shorter delta t) and faster sampling in the ADC
> to look for "valleys" in a "better" way. Make any sense at all?

Yes, but you will have more immunity to audio level variations between
receivers if you do peak-and-valley comparison.  Compare the ratio of peaks
to valleys rather than valley-only and you'll get a more accurate
measurement of short-term S/N.  Yes, you'll have two sets of detectors for
each channel (one for peaks, one for valleys), and yes, you'll have twice as
many inputs to mux into the ADC, but I think you'd end up with a
superior-performing product.  Something to think about or tinker with.

Of course, you could avoid all of the analog nonsense and do it with DSP,
that would be a cool project.  Wish I had more time for these kinds of
projects...

                        --- Jeff WN3A