The Motorola and think also GE voter look at the peak and valley audio to
determine sig quality.  If at the valley there is little audio level then very
quiting signal.  If noisey then at the valleys would still be noise and the
peak hi to valley would be less.  This is decoded by using some op-amp diodes
to compare the peak hi level to the low level valley.  I've used the same
circuit to look at data in DV signals.

Some voters look at high freq noise, but this will not go down a phone line so
the voter can see.  Many commercial voting systems use phone lines for link.
Looking at only the audio allows this.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Date: 2008/06/21 Sat AM 12:27:49 EDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Anyone familiar with the LDG RVS-8  Voting
>system?

>At 6/20/2008 15:52, you wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure I follow. I would think that for peak and valley detection to
>>work right, you need to look at the voice spectrum, not the noise spectrum,
>>and use the ratio of the peaks to valleys to compute a value indicitive of
>>the S/N, and then compare S/N values among the active channels to determine
>>which gets voted. I think that this kind of peak to valley ratioed
>>comparison would help "even out" differences in audio levels between
>>receivers (since you're comparing ratios, not absolute levels). I would
>>also think that by looking at the audio passband alone, it would also
>>minimize the detrimental effect of frequency response differences between
>>sources, particulary with regard to the typical high-end rolloff above the
>>audio passband for sources backhauled across links as compared to the local
>>receiver, which is often the most challenging obstacle to overcome as
>>mentioned previously.
>
>Has anyone actually designed a voter than works on this principle?  One
>issue I see is that proper operation of the voter may depend on "proper"
>user input signals.  A user radio with a hot mic in a noisy environment
>(hence constant deviation) would not be properly voted, particularly if the
>user wasn't moving.  Several examples of such a scenario occurring during
>the LA Marathon come to mind...
>
>Bob NO6B

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575