Laryn,

The simple, and most practical solution, is to use a 3PDT AC relay to switch
between normal and emergency sources.  Feed the coil of the relay from your
normal source, and wire the hot, neutral, and ground from the normal source
to the NO contacts, and the hot, neutral, and ground wires from the
emergency source to the NC contacts.  The common (swinger) leads go to your
repeater.  This way, the relay normally stays energized, and the now-closed
NO contacts feed your repeater.  When the normal buss fails, the relay
relaxes and closes the NC contact to connect your repeater to the emergency
buss.  Voila!

It is important to switch all three power leads, not just the hot lead,
because neutrals from separate sources cannot be made common- especially
when a separately-derived power source is involved- and the equipment
grounds must guide any fault current back to the source via the most direct
route, which is alongside the respective hot conductor.

You might discuss this issue with the hospital electrician, since the
critical buss may already be supplied from the normal buss during normal
operation.  If that's true, the proposed relay scheme is redundant.  But,
before you do anything, find out what caused that tripped circuit breaker-
there may be a dangerous condition that must be fixed.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY