Ok, I have been radio plagued this past week.

I have a 40W UHF Maxtrac that has a bad pa. Look in the photos
section, you can where I found a burnt spot and a missing piece across
the legs of the transistor. The piece fell out and is charred beyond
reconigition.

That's problem 1.

Second, I have a 40W UHF GM300 that has something wrong in the audio
amp and cannot stay on frequency worth a crap. I read something on
batlabs about the drifting but nothing about the audio amp.

So I pulled both radios out of the truck (put an icom in temp, I feel
dirty, first time in 12 years not having any moto eq in the vehicle)to
see what I can do.

My first thought was to see if I could use the PA off the GM300 on the
maxtrac. Got most of the way into that and discovered that they have a
different control plug. See the side by side pictures in the photo
section of the group. The GM300 has one extra wire (white to be exact).

I seem to remember that one of the differences between the series is
the fact the GM series actually senses temp, where the maxtrac has a
timer to prevent overheating. Is that the white wire? If so, can it be
defeated so i can use the pa on the maxtrac?

Or should I use the final (the actual transistor) out of the GM to
revive the maxtrac? The number match, though the last 3 letters on the
transistors are different.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated. Component level
troubleshooting is my weak spot. I would like to get one working radio
out of two here if I can.

Thanks!!!

Tom
W9SRV