At 08:44 AM 07/14/08, you wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Richard wrote:
> > Maybe you could install a battery bank with a good quality four stage
> > charger to power the repeaters. When the power drops, since the
> > repeaters are already running on batteries, the switchover would be
> > seamless.
>
>Good idea, but batteries weigh a lot. And they can explode when struck
>by lightning. Also, does the original poster "own" the radio room? If
>not, he probably can't dictate how much more space he takes in the
>place.
>
> > Your IRLP computer could be powered with a 1500 watt or better UPS.
> > This should allow sufficient runtime, plus the higher capacity should
> > get you out of the cheapo consumer grade UPS category. As Eric
>
>A 1500W UPS is overkill for a 100W load.
>
>--
>Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yeah, but they are pretty much free if you know where to look.  A while
back I had to re-battery six of them that were recovered from a dumpster
behind a hospital.  Nothing wrong with them, just needed new batteries.

And some of the older APCs had a 150a powerpole mount in the bottom
for an external battery pack that gave more run-time..

Mike WA6ILQ