  From: de W5DK
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:47 AM
  Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] So I watched it NBC Dateline story on Tower
Climbers

  Good help is hard to find in every trade nowadays. I could have done without
the adult day care angle, we all see it every day with current work ethics and
morals. They could have done the industry a better service with more facts and
public service links to safety training.

  I think it highlights the industry problem with subcontractors and poor
safety training along with energetic young personalities. Or the "I can drink
till 10 o'clock" guy. Seems like a good deal for the carriers and a bad deal
for the widows and family left behind. I'm not in the industry so that's just
my opinion and I know training will only get you so far. Some people are
un-trainable.

  Some of us hams have climbed allot compared to others, unfortunately most all
of us with ZERO safety training.  Except for what I read in "Tune in the World"
or ARRL antenna books, I have no training. I have climbed with others and
watched and corrected unsafe moves. I get more nervous watching others than
climbing myself.

  The main things I took away from all this reading and discussion was that all
the deaths were preventable and 100% tied off needs to be preached. I can't
find the NATE training link I saw yesterday. It would be good for the amateur
community to be exposed to better safety materials. Maybe I just haven't looked
hard enough. I also need to upgrade to newer better safety gear.

  73

  Don Kirchner W5DK